Monday, December 13, 2010

WTF Hollywood

We've all experienced it before: ten minutes into a movie and already wanting to gouge our own eyes out; watching for a movie that no man, woman or child would ever want to see; reading the reports of a casting choice and wanting to throw yourself off a cliff. These are the moments when we realize that executives in Hollywood really have no fucking clue what they're doing. They fill movie fans with rage, making us want to throw up in a bucket, burn the theater down, or just slap a baby. (OK, maybe being a bulimic, arsonist, baby slapper is a personal issue, but you guys know what I mean). These are the moments when we cringe in our seats and say "WTF Hollywood". . .and now there's a blog section dedicated to them. Aren't you all happy that the internet gives you everything you never knew you wanted (but secretly did)?

First to the stand is this atrocious trailer for Rabbit Hole:



I'm not really sure how large the "middle aged couple who tragically lost a child" demographic is, but Hollywood sure has reached out to it here. Honestly, from the "Why didn't God just create another angel? He's God" line, I really thought this was going to be a comedy. Unfortunately, I was sadly wrong.

Does anyone who hasn't read the book know what the hell this movie is about after watching the trailer? Does anyone even care? I mean, maybe it's just me, but isn't a trailer supposed to intrigue in order to attract an audience instead of scaring one away? Maybe someone out there was fooled by the switch from somber score to Broken Bells, or maybe there's an soft lighting and shoddy acting. But really, I feel that whoever was responsible for this movie should be thrown off a cliff. . .or at least barred from ever working in Hollywood again. Well, except for Aaron Eckhart, but that's just because his smug smile convinces me he saw this whole project as an elaborate joke.

The sad part is, I bet this movie will be received well. People will all be caught up in the "ooh, it's based on a Pulitzer Prize winning play" and rush out to see it. (By "people" I mean the readership of The New Yorker). For my part, I hope that if there are really tons of me's out there, that the rest of them weren't subjected to the atrocity of this trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment